Report | Blyth Spartans 3-0 AFC Telford United | National League North | 22/23

By Stephen Burton

In association with:


Chartered Management Accountant

Vanarama National League North

Saturday, November 5th 2022


Matty Cornish scored twice and set up another as Blyth Spartans secured a vital three points against AFC Telford United.

Cornish struck in the 10 minute as Blyth capitalised on a strong start as he bundle home from close range, before seeing his low cross diverted home off a Telford defender as Spartans doubled their lead on 71 minutes.

The winger scored Blyth’s third on 82 minutes to cap an impressive performance.

Graham Fenton was without the injured JJ O’Donnell and Jordan Hickey to add to a lengthy injury list, but he was boosted by the return of Alex Nicholson, as well as new signings Curtis Round and Will McGowan.

The new signing from Marske almost made an instant impact as he met Cedric Main’s inviting cross on the volley but he just couldn’t keep the shot down.

Nicky Deveridcs, standing in as captain, went close from distance in a lively first five minutes for Blyth.

On 10 minutes, Spartans got the goal their early play deserved as they worked the ball brilliantly out of defence, Round then picked the ball up on the left wing and fired in a great low cross that was stabbed home by Cornish.

Spartans were the better team but were almost caught out when Brendan Daniels fired a low drive from 25 yards that struck the post, as the visitors tried to find a way back into the game.

Blyth almost got a second on 25 minutes as Round produced another inviting cross, this time for Michael Richardson, but his head struck the post and was well gathered Louis Grey just before onrushing Main could turn it in.

Telford went close from a free-kick on the right edge of the area, from a foul the visitors were adamant was inside the box, as Daniels whipped it just past the far post, somehow evading his teammates running into meet it.

McGowan went close from just outside the box as Spartans looked for a second, however it was the visitors who went closest on the stroke of half-time as a header from a corner had to be cleared off the line by Deverdics.

The visitors started the second-half well forcing a series of corners as Blyth struggled to get out of their half.

Devarn Green had a glorious chance to level the scores as he showed fantastic skill to bring down a lofted pass, get past his man and through one-on-one with Alex Mitchell, but the forward lacked composure and blazed his effort over the bar.

Telford continued to pressure Spartans and Harry Flowers had a great chance to level as he leapt highest at a corner but his header drifted narrowly wide of the target.

The match became scrappy after the hour mark as both sides struggled to keep possession. Main did have a half-chance as he cut inside from the right but his shot was deflected, the looping ball well held by Grey as Round was ready to pounce.

When Blyth did manage to get a spell of possession they made the most. Cornish picked it up on the right, got past his man with his low cross from the byline directed in off the Telford defender to double Blyth’s lead.

Prince Ekpolo almost caused a scare as his long-range effort whistled narrowly over as Telford pushed forward, but within two minutes Spartans were three up.

Main stole the ball off the defender and broke into the box where the cut back to Cornish, who jinked past his man and fired into the bottom corner.

The goal secured Spartans a huge three points and their first win in the league since August.

Blyth Spartans | Mitchell, Evans (McKeown 72’), Nicholson (Bodenham 75’), Lees, Richardson, Round, McGowan, Elsdon, Deverdics © (Dopson 86’), Main, Cornish  Subs not used |  Scott, Joisce

Goals | Cornish 10’, 82’, Own Goal 71’

AFC Telford United | Grey, Bood, Piggott, Flowers, Evans ©, Ekpolo, Green (Chong 75’), Blissett, Daniels, Faal (Oswell 57’), Burroughs (Allen 72’)  Subs not used | Moore, Campbell

Referee | John Mulligan

Attendance | 725

Posted by BSAFC Media Team