Report | York City 1-0 Blyth Spartans | FA Trophy | 21/22

By Stephen Burton

In association with:


Chartered Management Accountant

FA Trophy Second Round

Saturday, November 27th 2021


An unfortunate Blyth Spartans fell to a narrow defeat as they were knocked out the FA Trophy in difficult conditions at the LNER Community Stadium.

Mark Beck put the hosts ahead four minutes in as he converted a low cross. Blyth pushed for an equaliser but were denied by a series of fine saves by former Spartan Peter Jameson.

Interim boss Michael Barron named just one change from the side that beat Guiseley last weekend as Connor Thomson replaced Lewis McNall who dropped to the bench.

Spartans fell behind with York’s first attack of the game as Beck stabbed home a low cross at the near post.

The Minstermen almost doubled their advantage a couple of minutes later as Akil Wright found himself through on goal but Toby Lees did well get back and make the block.

The hosts continued to put Blyth under pressure in the opening stages, but Spartans did have some luck on the break with Connor Thomson’s pace causing the York defence problems.

One such counter led to JJ O’Donnell finding space on the edge of the area, but he could only fire over the bar.

On the 20 minute mark, the winger again threatened but this time drilled his effort wide as Blyth slowly grew into the game.

York threatened once more from a corner as Wright headed narrowly over, but from then on it was all Blyth.

Thomson had a long range striker well saved by former Spartan Peter Jameson on the 25 minute mark, before the York stopper then tipped a Robbie Dale free kick wide of the post a couple of minutes later.

Thomson continued to torment the hosts with his direct running, and almost scored a spectacular half-volley from the edge of the box, only for it to fly narrowly wide of the top corner.

The forward went close twice more as he ran at the York defence, and curled a shot just past the post, then in almost identical circumstances fired straight at Jameson.

York stemmed the tide just before the interval, where Blyth were unlucky to go in a goal down.

The Minstermen started the second half brightly as Kurt Willoughby threatened with two dangerous crosses that flew just past the far post within the first five minutes.

The closest Spartans got in the early stages of the half was a Dale corner which caused a scramble in the box which the hosts eventually got clear.

Blyth continued to disrupt York’s passing, much to the frustration of the home support, but just could not quite create anything clear cut, as Karl Byrne went closest with a long range effort that curled narrowly wide.

The match turned into a scrappy affair as the half wore on, but Spartans created a brilliant chance 10 minutes from time as the match burst into life.

Nicky Deverdics broke forward and slipped a great ball through to the substitute Michael Liddle, he cut inside but his effort was well blocked by Jameson.

Dale then almost snatched a stunning equaliser in the dying minutes as fired a 25 yard strike towards the top corner, only for Jameson to tip it onto the bar.

As Spartans pushed forward, holes began to appear at the back, and Willoughby should have sealed it as he cut inside to fire only to be denied on the line by Nicky Deverdics.

York were almost made to regret that miss in added time when Dan Maguire played Sean Reid through on goal but the midfielder lashed his shot high and wide.

Blyth return to league action next weekend as they travel to AFC Fylde.

York City | Jameson, Barrow, Newton ©, Brown, McLaughlin, Willoughby, Donaldson, Beck, Fielding, Wright, Wallace (Hancox 90’)  Subs not used | Gilchrist, King, Hopper

Goals | Beck 4’

Blyth Spartans | Mitchell, Evans, Reid, Buddle ©, Watson, O’Donnell (Liddle 75’), Dale, Byrne, Deverdics, Lees, Thomson (Maguire 66’)  Subs not used | Hickey, McNall, Painter

Referee | Michael Barlow

Attendance | 1,184

Posted by BSAFC Media Team