Report | Blyth Spartans 4-2 Buxton FC | Isuzu FA Trophy Second Round | 22/23

By Ben Lightfoot

In association with:


Chartered Management Accountant

Isuzu FA Trophy Second Round

Saturday, November 19th 2022


Four goals from Cedric Main sends Blyth Spartans into the next round of the Isuzu FA Trophy.

Sean Newton opened the scoring six minutes in with a free-kick, but Cedric Main hit back 20 minutes later with a headed goal, but Tommy Elliott scored just before the half to give Buxton the lead.

Three goals in the second half from Cedric Main brought a well deserved comeback for the Spartans and an impressive performance fron the number 19.

Graham Fenton was without cup-tied Curtis Round and Will McGowan, in addition to a big injury list and the requested transfer-listing of Corey McKeown, but saw the return of Danny Barlow to the squad.

Blyth started the match the brighter of the two sides having an early corner swung in by Richardson, but the ball was cleared by the first Buxton defender.

Buxton opened the scoring with Sean Newton’s free-kick that got over the wall and into the bottom right corner leavign Alex Mithcell stranded. 

Newton had another chance shortly after as he took a first time shot from the edge of the box that was comfotably saved by Mithell.

Blyth’s first real chance on goal came 16 minutes in as Rhys Evans crossed the ball into Cedric Main, whose resulting header was hit over.

Blyth looked to start a counter attack as Jack Bodenham played the ball forward to Main, but Helen Conley called play back and gave the free-kick to Blyth anger.

Deverdics looked to level the game after 24 minutes, but his shot was blocked by the Buxton defense and the ball trickeled through to Mat Hudson

The Spartans did level play after 27 minutes as JJ O’Donnell tapped the ball to Bodenham who hot a first time cros into the box and Main managed to get his head to ball and flick it into the bottom right corner.

10 minutes later Richardson played a lovely through ball to an overlapping Rhys Evans whose shot was saved.

Just before the half Hickey was seemingly fouled on the edge of the Buxton box, but the referee was against it and Tommy Elliott drove the length of the pitch and got round Mitchell before putting the ball in an open net.

The Spartans had a brilliant start to the second half as Main scored his second of the game by placing the ball into the bottom left corner.

Shortly after Main played a direct through ball forward for Nicky Deverdics, who cut inside and fizzed the ball across the box to Alex Nicholson, whose shot was blocked by the Buxton defence.

Minutes later substitute Matty Cornish was one-on-one against Hudson, but couldn’t find the back of the net to put Spartans ahead.

Constant chances came for Blyth as O’Donnell moved forward with the ball on the left, drove into the box and struck the ball goalbound, but Hudson tipped his effort behind.

Blyth escaped conceding a third in the game as Buxton had a flurry of chances in a meer matter of seconds, but Alex Mitchell done well to keep the ball out of the net.

70 minutes in Main completed his hat-trick and put the Spartans into the lead for the first time as O’Donnell fizzed the ball low and hard into the box and Main was there to tap the ball home for his third.

Just two minutes later Main thought he had a fourth as he latched onto the end of the ball forward from Nicky Deverdics and his shot hit Hudson and trickled into the back of the net, but ultimately it was ruled offside.

With 10 minutes to go Buxton had a few chances going forward from Warren Clarke and Harry Bunn, but both of their efforts were high and wide of the Spartans goal.

And a perfect ending to a perfect performance as Main grabbed a fourth in the 89th minute as he struck the ball throught the legs of Hudson to send Blyth Spartans into the next round of the Isuzu FA Trophy.

Blyth Spartans | Mitchell, Evans, Nicholson, Lees, Richardson (Cornish 53’), Hickey, O’Donnell (Joisce 78’) , Elsdon (Dopson 86’), Deverdics © , Main, Bodenham | Subs not used | Scott, Barlow

Goals | Main 27’, 49’ 70’, 89’

Buxton | Hudson, Clarke, Brisley (McKay 77’), Newton ©, Sargent, Bunn, Kirby, Moult, Osborne, Boden (Gilchrist 51’), Elliott | Subs not used | Richardson, Granite, Meikle, De Girolamo, Tasdemir

Goals | Newton 6’, Elliott 43’, 

Referee | Helen Conley

Attendance | 640

Posted by Ben Lightfoot