Report | Blyth Spartans 1-1 Peterborough Sports | National League North | 22/23

By Ben Lightfoot and Fred Chandler

Saturday, February 11th 2023


Cedric Main’s early opener wasn’t enough for the Spartans as Peterborough fought back for a draw.

Main scored the opening goal of the game after just three minutes, but Josh McCammon would level the scoring after 78 minutes.

Graham Fenton’s side saw the return of Rhys Evans, who had missed the last 11 weeks due to injury and Toby Lees returned to the starting xi to replace Matty Eldson.

Instantly from kick-off, Main played a direct through ball forward for Michael Spellman who took the ball past Peter Crook and went down claiming for a penalty, however, referee Helen Conley booked Spellman for a dive.

Blyth kept attacking as Main scored after three minutes as he slot the ball under Crook at his near post after running onto a perfect through ball from Troy Chiabi,

Just 10 minutes later Michael Liddle finds Spellman with a through ball on the left flank, Spellman then played a dangerous cross into the box, but the ball was just too high for Chiabi to connect with it.

The Spartans continued their attacking presence as Will McGowan chipped the ball right to Nicky Deverdics who crossed the ball into the box, but again the ball was too high for Chiabi.

Just before the half-hour mark, Alex Mitchell was called into action as he made an excellent save to deny Josh Nicholson’s free kick.

Peterborough had their first open-play shot on target after 41 minutes as Nicholson’s left-footed shot from the edge of the box sailed over the bar.

Jordan Crawford has Peterborough’s best chance of the half, seconds before the break, as his looping volley landed on the roof of the net.

Blyth started the second half like the first as Spellman made a dangerous run down the left wing and put a powerful cross into the box, but Crook claimed the ball at his near post.

But four minutes later Spellman received a second yellow card after a foul on Isaiah Bazeley after 53 minutes.

10-men Blyth were put under a bit of pressure for the next seven minutes as chances from Nathan Fox and Richard Jones tested the Spartans defence.

Substitute Curtis Round should have doubled Blyth’s lead as he latched onto the end of Main’s through ball, but he was forced to shift left due to the Peterborough defence managing to get back and his shot was hit straight at Crook.

66 minutes in McGowan played an inch-perfect outside-the-foot pass to Main who rifled his shot just past the post from the edge of the area.

Seven minutes later Devderics’ free kick from 25 yards out whistled past the post as Crook was left stranded.

Peterborough levelled the scoring on 78 minutes as McCammon managed to capitalise on Blyth not clearing their lines as he picked the ball up in the Blyth box and took a first-time shot which beat Mitchell.

Sam Hodgson had a shot from outside the box and there were appeals for handball all over the ground, no penalty was given.

Jones had the last effort in the game in injury time as his header was hit over the bar from an inswinging free kick.

Blyth Spartans | Mitchell, Evans, Liddle, Lees, Hickey (Pani 79’), McGowan, Deverdics ©, Main (Hodgson 73’), Chiabi (Round 45’), Cousin-Dawson, Spellman | Subs not used | Elsdon, Dopson

Goals | Main 3’

Peterborough Sports | Crook, Bazeley, Fryatt, Jones ©, Lawlor, Crawford (Camara 74’), Jones (Nicholson 20’), Sano Sani, Kennedy, McCammon, Fox | Subs Not Used | Elsom, Johnson, Lowe

Goals | McCammon 78’

Referee | Helen Conley

Attendance | 640

Posted by Ben Lightfoot