Report | Blyth Spartans 1-0 Curzon Ashton | National League North | 21/22

Photo credit: Kris Hodgetts

By Ben Lightfoot

In association with:


Chartered Management Accountant

Vanarama National League North

Monday, May 2nd 2022


After defeating Brackley 1-0 just two days prior, Blyth managed another 1-0 win as they beat Curzon Ashton.

Lewis McNall’s goal after 15 minutes helped the Spartans secure another three points in the National League North.

Spartans boss Terry Mitchell named four changes from the side that saw JJ O’Donnell’s stunning overhead kick secured safety after a 1-0 win against Brackley Town, with Rhys Evans, Nathan Buddle, Robbie Dale and Lewis McNall all in the starting 11.

Spartans had the first chance of the game after a Robbie Dale free-kick from the halfway line was cleared by the Curzon defence.

Blyth continued to control the game early on as Michael Liddle flicked the ball into the box for Dan Barlow but couldn’t keep the ball under control.

Another free-kick for Blyth on the right-hand side of the box was whipped across the goal by Barlow, but Sado Djalo couldn’t find the finishing touch.

Jordan Richards’ free-kick was lofted deep into the Spartans box, but nobody could control the ball, resulting in a Blyth goal kick.

Shortly after Lewis McNall found the opener for Blyth as he rounded the keeper to score a tap-in after controlling the kick from Alex Mitchell that beat the Ashton defence.

Another Richards free-kick for Curzon was whipped into the box, but Spartans managed to clear the ball for a corner, which was managed by Blyth.

Matthew Challoner played a long ball forward for Curzon, but Mitchell decided to come out of his box and head the ball away from danger.

On the stroke of halftime, Spartans broke past the Curzon defence as Barlow’s cross into the box couldn’t find the head of O’Donnell.

After a slow start to the second half, Dale’s free-kick was the first opportunity of the half but struck the wall and the following shot was hit over the bar.

Connor Dimiao picked up the ball on the edge of the Blyth box and had the first shot on target for Curzon Ashton, but it was easily saved by Mitchell.

Another chance came for Curzon on the right-hand side from Richard’s played a low cross to Peers who scuffed his shot wide.

Curzon captain, Craig Mahon burst forward and played a low cross which was partly felt by Robson, whose clearance fell into Mitchell’s hands.

A clear cut chance for Curzon was wasted after a deflected shot fell into the path of Peers who shot the ball over the bar.

Instantly after McNall broke past the Curzon defence but was brought down in the box, no penalty was given for Blyth.

After 68 minutes there was a break in play due to a medical emergency in the crowd. We wish them a speedy recovery.

Play resumed on 73 minutes with Blyth attacking down the left but the cross was deflected for a throw-in.

Shortly after Curzon broke on the counter and Mitchell missed the ball but Almond managed to win the ball back to stop a clear cut chance.

In the 89th minute, Dale’s free-kick was chipped out left but the cross couldn’t beat the first man.

In injury time Mahon broke past the Blyth defence in acres of space but his pass across the box was cleared by Almond.

Blyth Spartans | Mitchell, Evans (Lees 86’), Liddle (Robson 43’), Buddle ©, O’Donnell (Deverdics 73’), Dale, McNall, McKeown, Barlow, Djalo, Almond | Subs not used | Reid, Maguire

Goals | McNall 15’

Curzon Ashton | Renshaw, Challoner, Poscha, Barton, Wilson, Lussey (Hobson 90’), Dimiao, Witham, Peers, Richards (Curran 73’), Mahon © | Subs not used | Raine, Teale, Nolan

Referee | Aaron Bannister

Attendance | 807

Posted by BSAFC Media Team