Match Report | North Shields 0-3 Blyth Spartans

By Stephen Burton

A brace from Dale Pearson helped Spartans overcome North Shields in a commanding display at Darren Persson Stadium.

Pearson opened the scoring after half an hour as he smashed home a Rhys Evans cross from close range before Scott Fenwick doubled the scoring just a minute later.

Pearson then grabbed his second two minutes after the break, converting into an empty net after the Shields stopper parried a cross into his path.

Much like last weekend’s 2-1 win at Hebburn Town, the Spartans squad featured a number of trialists as boss Lee Clark attempts to shape his side ahead of the new season.

Shields, fresh from a 8-1 thrashing of Seaton Deleval, attempted to assert themselves early on but both sides struggled to create in a cagey opening.

But 20 minutes in Spartans began to up the pressure. Pearson was the first to threaten as his near post effort was pushed wide by Greg Purvis, before Adam Wrightson was played in on goal only to see his chip come off the bar with the keeper stranded.

And it was not long before Spartans took the lead. On the half hour mark, Evans showed a great turn of pace on the right hand side, and his low cross was finished emphatically by Pearson via the underside of the bar.

Then just one minute later, Spartans doubled their advantage. Again on the right hand side, the impressive Wrightson whipped in an excellent low cross that was converted by Fenwick at the near post.

Shields struggled to cope with the combination of Evans and Wrightson and Spartans almost got a third in as many minute but this time Fenwick could not finish.

Fenwick was then presented with another fine opportunity to get his second a minute before the break but could not find the target as he stretched to reach a back post cross.

Spartans started the second in a similar vein, and two minutes in Pearson grabbed his second, again Wrightson found space on the right hand side before his low cross found it’s way to the striker, who made no mistake from a couple of yards.

Shields then had a half chance a couple of minutes later as Cam Cunningham threatened to get through on goal, only to see his effort smothered by Mark Foden.

The flow of the game was disrupted as both sides made a number of changes, but Fenwick almost popped up with a fourth only to be denied once again, this time by the offside flag.

Late on, the left wing trialist almost grabbed another after a mazy run only to be denied by a fine stop from Purvis.

The last 15 minutes saw Shields have their best spell of the game, Gary Ormston went close with a header, before Jordan Summerly forced Foden into a fine save two minutes before the end to ensure a clean sheet for the visitors.

Posted by BSAFC Media Team