Match Report | Matlock Town 0-2 Blyth Spartans


Report by Phil Castiaux

In association with:
Chartered Management Accountant

Evo-Stik NPL Premier Division
Saturday 16th April 2016

Matlock Town 0 – 2 Blyth Spartans

Blyth made their final trip away from home this season on Saturday, visiting Matlock Town.

They returned from Derbyshire after a 2-0 win which kept their Championship hopes alive.

It proved to be a dour game brightened only by a huge number of Spartans fans dressed in multi coloured Hawaiian dress, and two goals of real quality.

Blyth only took five minutes to take the lead. Matty Wade found Sean Reid centrally placed and 25 yards from goal. The midfielder took two paces forward before unleashing a stunning strike which powered in to the top corner of the Matlock net with goalkeeper George Willis helpless.

The Gladiators responded when Craig Nelthorpe’s powerful effort was goal-bound before defender Dillon Morse flung himself in the way and the danger was cleared.

Blyth lost Aaron Wearmouth after 25 minutes; the winger appearing to have fallen awkwardly. Michael Richardson replaced him on Blyth’s right.

Damen Mullen fired wide for Blyth before Matlock forward Joel Purkiss shot narrowly past Adam McHugh’s right hand post.

Soon after the break Blyth lost central defender Nathan Buddle due to injury with Danny Parker replacing him.

Purkiss came close again for the home side but it was Blyth who were having marginally the better of the game. Mullen tried his luck once more after 55 minutes but his long range effort cleared the bar. Within minutes Mullen had another attempt from 25 yards and this time his searing shot flew across and above Willis in to the top corner of the net. It was a truly spectacular goal.

Reid came close after 65 minutes after being played in by Michael Richardson but Willis was quickly off his line to collect. Then Dan Maguire escaped the attentions of defender Ben Algar but delayed his shot and Matlock were able to clear. Reid fired a free kick just over the bar before, in the final minutes, it needed a last ditch tackle from Adam Yates to deny Blyth’s Wilson Kneeshaw.

The Spartans fans, a tumultuous riot of colour and noise, greeted the final whistle with impromptu dancing on the terraces. It was as much a general celebration of Blyth’s splendid season as anything else.

Blyth conclude their season with home games. Firstly on Tuesday when Rushall Olympic travel to Croft Park, kick off 7.45pm and then on Saturday when Marine are the visitors, kick off 3pm. The Spartans are guaranteed second place in the table should they not win the league outright. The play off semi-final would take place at Croft Park on Tuesday 26th April with a kick off time of 7.45pm.

Attendance: 586

Matlock Town: 1. George Willis, 2. Jason Paling, 3. Ben Algar, 4. Craig Nelthorpe, 5. Adam Yates, 6. Micky Harcourt (capt.), 7. Ted Cribley, 8. Liam Needham, 9. Joel Purkiss (15. Jack Siddall 66), 10. Jordan Ball (12. Danny Holland 66), 11. Charlie Dawes (16. Niall McManus 45)
Unused subs: 14. Liam Gaughan, 17. Ashley Bartle

Blyth Spartans: 1. Adam McHugh, 2. Andrew Cartwright, 3. Jordan Watson, 4. Nathan Buddle (16. Danny Parker 53), 5. Dillon Morse, 6. Damen Mullen, 7. Aaron Wearmouth (15. Michael Richardson 25), 8. Sean Reid, 9 Daniel Maguire (14. Wilson Kneeshaw 75), 10. Matthew Wade, 11. Robert Dale (capt.)
Unused subs: 12. Alex Nicholson, 17. Paul Robinson

Referee: James Bell, Assistants: Matthew Bacon and Justin Carpenter

Posted by BSAFC Media Team