Report | Blyth Spartans 1-0 Guiseley | National League North | 21/22

BY Liam O’Brien

In association with:


Chartered Management Accountant

Vanarama National League North

Saturday, November 20th 2021


Blyth Spartans picked up at huge 3 points at Croft Park against Guiseley AFC thanks to a Reid goal and a Mitchell penalty save.

This was Michael Barron’s first game in charge of the first-team, on an interim basis, following the departure of Michael Nelson.

Alex Mitchell made an impressive penalty save to deny Jordan Thewlis after Thewlis was brought down by Rhys Evan and Guiseley were awarded a penalty. 

Sean Reid smashed home what would be the winner in the 60th minute after some great play by JJ O’Donnell. 

Spartans got the first chance of the match when Deverdics lofted a free-kick into the box. Lees and O’Donnell both went up for the header but Lees was the one who got his head on it. He was not able to direct his header towards goal and it went narrowly wide.

The first half was tightly contested with neither side able to create many clear cut chances. The match heated up when Spencer took down Dale with a late challenge. The referee gave Spencer a yellow card despite calls for a red.

It took 42 minutes for the first shot on target to come in the match and it was Guiseley who got it. A cross was whipped into the box towards Nicholson at the far post but his header was straight at Mitchell and comfortably saved. 

Guiseley started strong at the start of the second half with Hollins getting above everyone else in the box to win a header that went narrowly over the crossbar.

Guiseley were awarded a penalty in the 51st minute when Thewlis was brought down in the box by Evans. Thewlis then stepped up to take the penalty. He aimed it low into the bottom left corner but Mitchell was able to get down to make the save.

Guiseley were left to rue that missed when 10 minutes later, O’Donnell collected the ball out wide on the right and dribbled into the box then unleashed a shot at the near post that saved off the line but Reid was there to put it into the back of the net.

Spartans continued to put pressure on Guiseley in the second half with second half substitute Thomson getting a chance at goal when he got up for a header that Wade tipped over the crossbar.

Guiseley got a chance in the 77th minute when Hutchinson created some space outside the box and had a strike through a crowded penalty area but Mitchell was able to get down low to save it.

Blyth were able to hold on despite some late pressure from Guiseley and won all 3 points to end a run of 10 league games without a win. 

Blyth Spartans XI: Mitchell, Evans, Reid, Buddle (c), Watson, O’Donnell, Dale, Byrne (Hickey, 83), McNall (Thomson, 54), Deverdics, Lees

Subs not used: McKeown, Painter, Milburn

Scorers: O’Donnell (60)

Guiseley AFC XI: Wade, Cantrill, Nicholson, Ekpolo, Hollins (Tuton, 79), Mbeka, Hull, Spencer (c) (Hey, 67), Gratton (Haw, 67), Thewlis, Hutchinson

Subs not used: Brown, Metcalfe

Referee: Liam Marshall

Attendance: 580

Posted by Jack Bramley