Gainsborough Trinity 2 Blyth Spartans 0 (Match Report)

Attendance – 394

Gainsborough Trinity
Philip Barnes, Darren Williams, Mark Robinson, Mark Greaves (sub Joshua Davies 76 mins), Gavin Cowan, Andrew Boyce, Sam Aiston (sub Ashley Burbeary 75 mins), James Hunt, Lewis Mcmahon, Luke Beckett (sub Darryn Stamp 89 mins), Nathan Peat
Subs not used – Wesley Parker & Ryan Toulson

Blyth Spartans
Mark Bell, Stephen Harrison, John Brackstone, Michael Tait, Stephen Foster, Gareth Williams (sub Simon Todd 60 mmins), Neal Hooks, Richard Pell, Paul Brayson, Ian Graham, John Alexander
Subs not ued – Darren Craddock & Jack Norton

Blyth Spartans ended the season on a losing note and manager Mick Tait will no doubt quickly turn his attentions to the new campaign after his side were beaten 2-0.

Gainsborough almost took the lead in their first attack. Two defenders went for the ball and Luke Beckett took advantage, forcing goalkeeper Mark Bell into a fine save.

At the other end, a Paul Brayson free kick was cleared before John Brack stone tested Trinity goalkeeper Philip Barnes with a powerfully-struck 20-yard effort.

It was against the run of play when the home side went ahead after 33 minutes, when a bouncing ball was well controlled by Lewis McMahon who then slotted home from close range.

Brayson was close to an equaliser after a neat move by Neil Hooks before Blyth were shown the way to goal by Beckett in the 58th minute.

Sam Aiston made a penetrating run down the left and when he pulled the ball back into the penalty area, Beckett volleyed in. Blyth were more of an attacking force with the introduction of Simon Todd on the hour, and it was Todd who set up Brayson but his goalbound effort was smartly claimed by Philip Barnes.

Neat work by Bryson down the flank opened up the opportunity for Todd who went close with an 18-yard shot but, as the game petered out, it was Trinity who almost scored again as Ashley Burbeary’s late effort from just outside the penalty area flew wide.

Posted by BSAFC Media Team