Blyth versus Sutton Coldfield – match report

Report by Michael Bowers

Blyth missed the opportunity to extend their lead at the top the Evo-Stik table as Sutton Coldfield Town won 2-1 at Croft Park on Saturday.

The visitors’ captain Joel Kettle headed his side in front before Daniel Maguire’s second-half goal looked to have earned a point. However, substitute Zak Lilly struck late on to inflict Blyth’s first home league defeat of the season.

Tom Wade’s side could count themselves unlucky to lose a cagey and evenly-matched contest but they were largely restricted to long range efforts by a well-organised visiting side.

The game, which was played in front of a crowd of 643, started warily as the visitors looked to stop the hosts from dominating, although Blyth had the first chance as Robbie Dale’s half-volley was cleared off the line.

After 12 minutes an Aaron Wearmouth cross was met at the far post by Sean Reid but his point blank shot was well saved by Sutton’s James Wren.

Mo Diop looked set to score if it weren’t for good fortune form Blyth’s point of view as his shot went over the bar before Spartans’ Stephen Turnbull had a shot which Reid just failed to divert goalwards when well placed at the other end.

But after a period of pressure, Sutton took the lead just six minutes before half-time as Kettle rose highest from Diop’s corner to firmly plant his header past Fabian Otte.

The hosts were out early for the second-half and could have easily got level within two minutes of the restart as Maguire drilled the ball across the face of goal and, had a touch been applied, a goal would have resulted.

Diop, Kyle Bryant and Luke Rodgers all missed chances to extend the visitors’ lead and were made to pay.

A superb through-ball found Maguire who beat the on-rushing Wren to fire home, despite Kettle’s best efforts to keep it out.

Lilly replaced Diop for Sutton as Paul Robinson, Neal Hooks and Michael Richardson replaced Sean Reid, Turnbull and Matthew Wade respectively as both sides looked for the winner.

Richardson, twice, and Maguire came close to putting Blyth ahead.

But it was Sutton who got the decisive goal as Lilly pounced in the final third and shot decisively past Otte from the edge of the penalty area.

Richardson came agonizingly close to equalizing with the last kick of the game but despite the loss Blyth found themselves still three points clear at the top of the table.

Posted by BSAFC Media Team