Blyth Spartans 2 Fleetwood Town 3 (Match Report)

Attendance 523

Blyth Spartans –
Mark Bell, Stephen Harrison, John Brackstone, Michael Tait (sub Simon Todd 83 mins), Stephen Foster, Richard Pell, Neal Hooks, Stephen Turnbull, Paul Brayson, Ian Graham (sub John Alexander 83 mins), Gareth Williams
Subs not used – Darren Craddock, Jack Norton

Fleetwood Town –
Craig Dootson, Anthony Barry, Samueal Williamson, Simon Grand, Steven Mcnulty, Nathan Pond, Sean Clancy, Jamie Milligan, Lee Thorpe (sub Garreth Seddon 65 mins), Adam Warlow, Jamie Mullen (sub Nick Rogan 65 mins)
Subs not used – Michael Taylor, Steven Conners, John Hills

A CROWD of more than 500 was entertained to an excellent game, even though Blyth Spartans failed to sign off at Croft Park with a win.

Fleetwood Town, in with a chance of promotion, took the points following a five-goal thriller when fortunes ebbed and flowed throughout the afternoon.

Spartans could easily have taken the lead after just four minutes when John Brackstone found Paul Brayson, but the striker pulled his first-time effort just wide of the target.

Brayson, though, was not to be denied and gave the home side a ninth-minute advantage.

He won a challenge with Sam Williamson on the edge of the penalty area and, after playing a one-two with Stephen Harrison, struck a first-time effort which went across goalkeeper Craig Dutson and into the net.

It took Fleetwood only six minutes to equalise.

The Blyth defence failed to deal with a long clearance into their half, and when the ball fell to Adam Warlow he shot home from the edge of the penalty area.

Nathan Pond had a good chance for Fleetwood, and it took a splendid save from Mark Bell to deny Lee Thorpe as the visitors threatened.

Eventually, Fleetwood were rewarded just before the hour when Blyth were hit on the counter-attack. . . and it was Warlow who hammered the ball home.

Spartans were level within two minutes. Michael Tait’s quickly-taken throw-in found Brayson and he struck from a tight angle for his second goal of the afternoon.

Fleetwood introduced Gareth Seddon on 68 minutes and the move proved an astute one since, within three minutes, he produced what turned out to be the winning goal.

Anthony Barry won the ball in midfield and Seddon latched onto his pass before leaving Bell with no chance.

Posted by BSAFC Media Team