Blyth Spartans 0 East Stirlingshire 2 (Match Report)

Saturday 17th July 2010
Attendance – 221

Blyth – Jake Cunningham (sub Mark Cook 45 min), Stephen Harrison, Phil Cave, Michael Tait, Wayne Buchanan, Gareth Williams (sub Chris Swailes 45 min), Neal Hooks, Stephen Turnbull (sub Dan Groves 64 min), John Alexander (sub Paul Brayson 45 mins), Nick Deverdics (sub Ian Graham 45 mins), Rob Dale.
Subs – James Taylor, Owen Ridley, Michael Simm.

East Stirlingshire – Michael Andrews, Mark Duigan, Dean Richardson, Craig Tully, David Dunn, Paul Weaver, Craig Donaldson, Kevin Cawley, Stephen McGuire (sub Steven Paige 64 min), Derek Ure (sub Fraser Team 64 min), Fraser Team (sub Darren Kelly 45 min).
Subs – Ian Ure, Davie Nicholls, Laury Spence.

Conference North side Blyth Spartans entertained Scot League 3 East Stirlingshire in their 4th pre season match in a week.

The home side nearly snatched an early goal. On 4 minutes a long goal kick from keeper Jake Cunningham found Spartans striker John Alexander who dribbled the ball past Craig Tully before playing the ball across the 6 yard box where Nicky Deverdics sliced his effort wide.

First corner for visitors on 26 minutes when David Dunn floated the ball into the penalty area from the right, Stephen McGuire flicked the ball on at the near post but Rob Dale cleared the bouncing ball for the home side.

Stirling shire’s keeper Michael Andrews came to his sides rescue, when Dale found Alexander unmarked in the visitors penalty area, but the striker decided to take 2 touches, allowing Andrews the opportunity to smother Alexander’s shot.

Shire’s first clear effort came on the stroke of half time. Fraser Team effort from 20 yards was deflected behind for a corner by Buchanan.

Both sides made a number of changes at the interval. With sub keeper Mark Cook being the first called in to action tipping over Derek Ure’s shot.

At the other end Paul Brayson’s 20 yard free kick went narrowly wide. From the resultant goal kick, East took the lead. Andrews punt up field beat the Blyth defence, with McGuire getting the better of Chris Swailes to drill the ball home past Cook.

On the hour mark the visitors stretched their lead. Phil Cave lost possession, to Kevin Cawley, his inch perfect cross was met by the head of McGuire with Cook parrying the ball straight to Craig Donaldson who rolled the ball home.

With 10 remaining Fraser Team should have scored from Donaldson’s free kick, flicking the hard driven ball inches wide.

Posted by BSAFC Media Team