Report | Spartans rue missed chances and suffer double injury blow against York

BY Aaron Hindhaugh

In association with:


Chartered Management Accountant

Vanarama National League North

Wednesday 2nd December 2020


Blyth Spartans missed some big chances and lived to regret it as York City put three past them on a bleak night for the home side.

Michael Woods opened the scoring after just eight minutes following a swift counter-attack. Harry Bunn then doubled York’s lead just two minutes into the second-half.

Just after the hour mark, Jake Cassidy added a third as he nodded home at the back post.

The first chance of the game fell to the visitors as they cleared a Blyth corner to Woods who was unmarked on the halfway line and calmly finished beneath the onrushing Brad Young.

Blyth had a chance to respond seven minutes later as a nice move down the right saw Rhys Evans find Michael Cain unmarked 15-yards out but could only fire his effort into the ground and wide.

Three minutes later, Jack Redshaw cut in from the left drawing defenders towards him before teeing up Woods, but he sliced his effort high and wide from the edge of the area.

The visitors almost doubled their just before the half-hour as Redshaw’s deflected effort landed at Bunn’s feet and he managed to poke it under the onrushing Young before seeing it hit the post and roll across the line allowing Blyth to clear.

Two minutes later, Blyth were saved once again, this time by the offside flag which went up against Akil Wright who hadn’t got back onside following a cleared corner.

Blyth should have been level on the stroke of half-time after Paul Blackett won the ball outside York’s half and squared it to Connor Thomson unmarked 10-yards out but he failed to sort his feet out and saw Peter Jameson smother the ball.

Two minutes into the second-half, York whipped the ball to the ball back post where Redshaw knocked it down for Bunn, who smashed home his half volley from six-yards.

Priestley Griffiths almost dragged Blyth back into the game on the hour mark as he collected a loose York clearance on the edge of the area before letting fire and seeing his effort cannon off the post with Jameson beaten.

Cassidy added a third in the 63rd minute as an Olly Dyson looping cross was met by York’s number nine, who thumped home a header from two yards out.

Bunn had a chance to double his tally for the night after earning his side a penalty on the 80th minute but blazed his effort high over the crossbar.

Blyth Spartans: Young; Sakellaropoulos, Elsdon, Nelson; Evans, Heslop, Griffiths, Cain, Guy (Scott 60); Thompson (Russell 72’), Blackett (Amantchi 67’). Subs not used: Pearson, Amantchi.

York City: Jameson; Tinkler (Kennedy 45’) , Brown, Newton, Barrow; Dyson, Wright, Woods, Bunn; Cassidy (McLaughlin 78’) , Redshaw (Potts 60’). Subs not used: Flatters, Kennedy, Wollerton.

Goals: Woods (8), Bunn (47), Cassidy (63)

Attendance: Behind closed doors

Referee: Paul Cooper

Posted by BSAFC Admin