Report | Spartans exit FA Cup at Marske

BY Jordan Cronin

In association with:


Chartered Management Accountant

FA Cup Third Round Qualifying

Wednesday, October 14, 2020


Blyth Spartans exited the FA Cup at the third round qualifying stage following a 1-0 defeat at Northern Premier North West side Marske United. 

Adam Boyes’ second-half goal sent Spartans out of the competition in a game of few chances for both sides. 

It was a particularly disappointing evening for Michael Nelson’s men, who managed just one shot on target at Mount Pleasant. 

Nelson named one change from the 1-1 draw with AFC Telford United on Saturday, playing himself in place of the suspended Matthew Elsdon. 

The first-half was one of limited clear-cut chances as Blyth were forced to defend a number of long throw-ins. 

Matthew Tymon registered the first shot of the evening when he latched onto the end of a Boyes knockdown – hitting over first-time from around 30 yards out. 

While Blyth defended and held their shape well, there were a few occasions where Marske did find joy from the long throw but were unable to really test Brendan Pearson. 

On 37 minute, Liam O’Sullivan provided the long throw and Seasiders captain Adam Wheatley met it, but the Blyth keeper gathered comfortably. 

After the break, the home side started with a quicker intensity as Glen Butterworth forced a low save from Pearson before Boyes aimed one inches past the far post. 

Blyth regrouped and defended well but were ultimately undone in the 57th-minute. 

Pearson could only parry Craig Gott’s stinging effort into the path of Boyes, who picked up the ball before slotting the ball into the bottom right corner. 

In response to going 1-0 down, Panos Katsamagkas was introduced in place of Kurt Russell and should have perhaps levelled proceedings. 

Smart work by Connor Thomson on the right wing found Panos in the six-yard box, but the Greek striker hit a tame effort. 

Nevertheless, it was a fantastic first and only save of the evening for goalkeeper Ryan Catterick. 

In truth, once Marske got their lead, they never really looked in danger of losing it.

Butterworth and Connor Smith threatened to extend the Seasiders’ lead, while there was almost a nightmare moment for Blyth to deal with. 

Nelson’s tackle from inside the area smacked off the legs of Rhys Evans, narrowly deflecting wide of Pearson’s goal. 

Blyth survived the heart-in-mouth moment but could do nothing to make it count as a resolute Marske comfortably seen out their own FA Cup scalp. 

Marske: Catterick, Smith, O’Sullivan, Butterworth, May, Wheatley, Maloney, Gott, Boyes, Tymon (Blackford 90), Round. Subs not used: Hood, McTiernan, Burgess, Wilkinson. 

Goals: Boyes (57)

Blyth: Pearson, Evans, Scott (McKeown 72), Charlton, Nelson, Cunningham, Thomson, Heslop (Guy 75), Blackett, Griffiths, Russell (Panos, 58). Subs not used: Dart, Thackray, Taylor. 

Referee: Aaron Bannister

Attendance: 400

Posted by BSAFC Admin