Report | Guiseley 1-0 Blyth Spartans | FA Cup | 21/22

In association with:


Chartered Management Accountant

Emirates FA Cup Third Qualifying Round

Saturday, October 2nd, 2021


Blyth Spartans exited the FA Cup at the Third Round Qualifying stage following a 1-0 defeat at National League North counterparts Guiseley.

James Spencer’s 12th-minute opener proved the difference in a game of two halves at Nethermoor Park. 

It started promisingly for Blyth. Nicky Deverdics’ used the wet surface to drill his free-kick at Luke Jackson’s goal. He parried the ball into the path of Toby Lees but redeemed himself to save.

But Guiseley soon asserted complete control and dominated the first-half. The hosts overloaded the wide area, which is how their opener came about. 

A cross into the box was cleared but fell to Spencer, whose shot hit off the inside of the post as it beat Alex Curran in the Spartans goal.

From then on, Guiseley were left wondering how they didn’t extend their advantage, while Blyth were grateful to be only one down the break. 

Miscommunication between Lees and Curran saw the ball fall to Spencer, but he somehow rolled his shot wide of an empty net. 

In a rare Blyth chance, Dan Maguire sent JJ O’Donnell in behind but the Guiseley defence forced the midfielder wide, allowing Jackson to save comfortably. 

Curran, on only his second Spartans start, superbly saved from Jacob Gratton, who shot through the host of bodies. 

Nelson’s side were handed another let-off. Brad Nicholson’s shot from the left looked to be heading into the bottom corner but Gratton blocked his teammate’s shot. 

Sean Reid headed Deverdics’ free-kick delivery on target as Blyth headed into half-time in desperate need of a response. 

Maguire, often isolated in the opening 45 minutes, found space on the edge of the box and side-footed an effort just wide of the left corner. 

Spencer then threw his body in front of Jordan Watson’s shot as Spartans showed early signs of improvement. 

However, Guiseley were in no mood to let their mood slip and went close to extending it. Jordan Thewlis walked past two Spartans defenders and with only Curran to beat, the Blyth keeper brilliantly came out on top. 

Michael Liddle advanced on the left to drive an effort at goal, and Jackson did very well to hold onto the low drive with O’Donnell lurking in the middle. 

Deverdics’ set pieces were a threat all afternoon, one of which almost caught Jackson out directly just after the hour-mark. 

Moments later, some last-ditch defending from a Guiseley man prevented Sean Reid from poking home inside the area, just as Connor Thomson added pace in behind as he replaced Robbie Dale. 

Deverdics took up a great position on the left-hand side to deliver to low, with George Cantril so nearly turning into his own net. 

Despite Blyth’s improvements in the second-half, it ended in a disappointing FA Cup exit at the Third Round Qualifying stage. 

Guiseley: Jackson, Cantril, Nicholson, Ekpolo, Bencherif, Mbeka, Hull, Spencer, Gratton (Tuton, 90), Thewlis (Felix, 74), Hutchinson. Subs not used: Brown, Damba, Hey, Haw, Thompson. 

Blyth Spartans: Curran, Byrne (Evans, 80), Lees, Reid, Watson, Liddle, Hickey (Painter, 57), Deverdics, O’Donnell, Maguire, Dale (Thomson, 64). Subs not used: McNall, McKeown, Clark. 

 Referee: Richard Aspinall

Attendance: N/A

Posted by BSAFC Admin