Report | Former Spartans inflict 3-0 defeat on Blyth

By Liam O’Brien

In association with:


Chartered Management Accountant

Vanarama National League North

Tuesday, August 13 2019

Blyth Spartans 0-3 York City

Blyth suffered a 3-0 defeat at the hands of promotion favourites York City with former Spartan Kieran Green getting on the scoresheet.

York City took the lead in the 18th minute when Jordan Burrow headed the ball down for Kallum Griffiths, who hammered it in on the half volley.

City then doubled their lead in the 24th minute when Alex Kempster dispossessed Ryan Hutchinson to charge towards goal, open up his body and curl a shot into the far corner.

Green then wrapped up the victory just after half-time when he headed home a cross from Sean Newton.

Lee Clark made five changes from the side lost to Alfreton with Craig Spooner, Ryan Hutchinson, Olly Scott, Dale Pearson and Jake Orrell coming into the starting 11.

Despite a bright start from Blyth, The Ministermen got their noses in front when Kempster whipped in a cross for Jordan Burrow, who headed it down for Griffiths to hammer home on the half-volley.

York went in search of another goal as Green came in from out wide on the left to have an effort at goal that was superbly saved by Harker.

Then, Spartans threatened an equaliser when Dale Pearson powered a free-kick from just outside the box that went narrowly over the bar.

Unfortunately, City then went up the other end and doubled their lead. Kempster dispossessed Hutchinson, ran at goal then sent the ball curling into the far corner of the net.

From then on, York bossed possession, though Tom Devitt did almost pull one back on the stroke of half-time, however his header dropped wide of the emerging Peter Jameson’s post.

With Michael Sweet introduced at half-time, he was given no time to help drag his team back into it as Green quickly powered home a header for 3-0.

Sweet, who was brought on at half-time for Anthony Callaghan, was only on the pitch for 12 minutes before being forced to come off with an injury and was replaced by Scott Fenwick.

Nathan Dyer, a second-half sub for York, then caused some trouble for Blyth when he made a run down the right before doing a couple of stepovers then having a strike at goal that went just wide of the far post.

Wrightson was a bright spark for Blyth as he put pressure on the York defence.

In the 74th minute, Wrightson was sent through and had a strike at goal that was kept out by the fingertips of Jameson.

Wrightson got another chance two minutes later when a header from Fenwick fell to his feet outside the box but his shot went soaring over the bar.

York had a few chances towards the end of the game as Dyer had a cross come shot in the 82nd minute that just need a slight touch to go in but no York players were able to get on the end of it.

In stoppage time, Griffiths launched a ball up pitch for the head of Burrow but his header towards goal was saved by Harker.

A tough night for the Spartans against a strong York City side but they will be hoping to get their first points on the table when Hereford visit Croft Park this Saturday.

Spartans – Harker, Evans (Nearney, 88), Callaghan (Sweet, 45 (Fenwick, 57) Robson, Devitt, Hutchinson (C), Wrightson, Spooner, Pearson, Orrell, Scott

Subs not used: Dale, Mouanda

York City – Jameson, Griffiths, Ferguson, Newton, McNulty (C), Tait, Moke, Bond (Dyer, 62), Burrow, Green, Kempster (Langstaff, 62)

Subs not used: York, Spratt, Whiteley

Goals – Griffiths (18) Kempster (24) Green (52)

Bookings – Bond (22)

Referee – Adam Williamson

Posted by Jordan Cronin