Report | Encouraging Blyth display in Spennymoor defeat

BY Kieran Carr

In association with:


Chartered Management Accountant

Pre-season friendly

Tuesday, September 29, 2020


Blyth Spartans ended their pre-season campaign with a 4-2 defeat at Spennymoor Town in a behind closed doors friendly at The Brewery Field. 

Michael Nelson fielded a strong starting XI in the first-half, in which the score was level at 2-2, before changes were made after the break – including trialists. 

After a cagey opening few exchanges in the game, Spennymoor grabbed the lead inside the opening five minutes 

A corner wasn’t dealt with at the far post and Carl Magnay tapped home. With Brendan Pearson unavailable, the Trialist goalkeeper did get a touch on the ball but it wasn’t enough to stop the ball crossing the line.

Blyth responded very well and equalised just seven minutes later. Trialist beat the offside trap after a through ball from Corey McKeown. His shot was parried by Moors keeper Dale Eve but Olly Scott followed the play down the left-hand side and slotted home the rebound. 

It was very much an even game with Spartans showing some fantastic passing play and promising link and build up play, but it was Spennymoor who struck again on the 24 minutes. 

The ball was played in from the left-hand side and hung up in the air to be headed home from six yards out from Moors experienced midfielder Jason Kennedy.

Despite the setback of falling behind, once again Spartans showed fantastic team work and continued to look a big threat going forward. 

On 31 minutes, brilliant work down the right hand side between Rhys Evans and Connor Thomson led to another Spartans leveller. 

Thomson’s ball in was driven low towards the box and spilled by Eve with Paul Blackett alert and ready to pounce to finish from six yards out. 

Ahead of the second half, Spartans made a few changes which saw three trialists enter the field of play with more to come later in the game.  

Ten minutes in, a corner from Moors was initially dealt with by Blyth, however the loose ball dropped to Jordan Boon, whose left-footed strike from around the penalty spot found the bottom corner. 

And it was another quick-fire goal that put the game out of reach for Blyth and their trialists as Rob Ramshaw rose highest from the corner, with his header hitting off either post before rolling in the back of the net. 

With 15 minutes to play, new signing and captain for the evening Liam Agnew, was forced off with injury and with all subs used.

Spartans were forced to play the final quarter of an hour with 10 men but despite this, the side kept a good shape and defended well to the end.

Blyth: Trialist, Evans (Trialist), Elsdon (Trialist), Thackray, Scott (Charlton), Agnew, Guy, Thomson, Trialist, Blackett (Trialist).

Posted by Jordan Cronin