Report | Blyth leave Kidderminster empty handed

In association with:


Chartered Management Accountant

Vanarama National League North

Saturday October 24th 2020


Two goals in either half condemned Blyth Spartans to a 2-0 defeat away to Kidderminster Harriers in National League North. 

Ashley Hemmings handed Harriers the lead on 12 minutes before Max Taylor added a second on the hour-mark to inflict a third successive league defeat on Michael Nelson’s side. 

Nelson named two changes from the defeat to Southport – Michael Cain was handed his debut in place of the injured Liam Agnew, while Ade Gbolahan replaced Panos up top. 

With two minutes on the clock, Connor Thomson broke into the penalty area on the right-hand side and forced Luke Simpson into a save at his near post. 

That, unfortunately, would be the only time the Kidderminster goalkeeper was tested in the first-half as the hosts piled on the early pressure. 

Both Omari Sterling and Sam Austin responded for Harriers, however on-loan Brad Young was equal to the both attempts. 

Young was then on top form to deny the hosts the lead on eight minutes as he dived to beat away Hemmings’ shot that looked destined to nestle in the right-hand side of the net. 

Unfortunately for Young, Hemmings got the better of him four minutes later from close-range, assisted hugely by a mazy run into the box by the left winger Sterling. 

The early pressure by the home side wasn’t maintained and Blyth did regroup to ensure that the only opportunities that did arrive were from distance. 

On the attacking front however, Blyth struggled to breakthrough with Cain’s rising shot from 20 yards the most notable chance. 

On the brink of half-time, a defence splitting pass by Alex Prosser set Ethan Freemantle away but Aaron Cunningham forced the player wide before he fired into the side netting. 

Following a slow start to the second-half for both teams, it took a free-kick to breach the Blyth defence for a second time.

Sterling’s in-swinging delivery on the hour mark floated all the way to the back post with Manchester United loanee Taylor getting the final touch. 

From then on, Kidderminster looked comfortable in their lead, despite Cunningham overseeing a half-chance with a header on 63 minutes. 

Sterling went close to adding a third with his free-kick from 20 yards, while moments later, Hemmings’ celebrations were cut short by the offside flag. 

Keith Lowe also missed a gapping opportunity for Harriers when he got on the end of Sterling’s corner, but headed over the crossbar. 

Blyth, however, could – and should – have got on the scoresheet in injury time. 

Cain’s free-kick delivery was struck onto the crossbar by Kris Thackray before Matthew Elsdon slid the loose ball wide of the mark. 

Kidderminster: Simpson, Penny, Richards, Lowe, Montrose, Austin, Hemmings (Maxwell, 81), Sterling (Arthur, 88), Taylor, Prosser, Freemantle (Kellermann, 58). Subs not used: Palmer, Moyo.

Goals: Hemmings (12), Taylor (58).

Blyth: Young, Sakellaropoulos, Thackray, Eldson, Cunningham, Cain, Thomson, Heslop, Gbolahan (Panos, 73), Griffiths (Russell, 66), Guy (McKeown, 73). Subs not used: Charlton, Pearson. 

:Referee: David McNamara 

Attendance: Behind closed doors 

Posted by Jordan Cronin