Matchwinner Rivers at it again as Spartans see off Trafford

Blyth Spartans 1-0 Trafford FC
Evo-Stik Northern Premier League
Croft Park
Attendance: 335

It was a case of after the Lord Mayor’s Show for Spartans but nevertheless they took the points from Trafford with a dogged performance at a blustery Croft Park. Friday’s matchwinner Jarrett Rivers was the hero again as his first half goal ensured Tom Wade’s side kept up the good feeling at the club after the FA Cup heroics on Friday.

The first chance of the game came in the eighth minute and Stephen Turnbull almost recreated his free kick heroics from Hartlepool United on Friday night. However this time the midfielder could only send a twenty yard free kick just over the bar.

Spartans were denied what looked like a certain penalty on the quarter of an hour mark. A pass into the area by Joel Dixon found Arran Wearmouth and the forward span his marker before being brought down by Stephen Mason but referee Newhouse waved away vociferous appeals by the majority inside Croft Park.

Three minutes before the interval Spartans took the lead and it was Friday night’s goal hero Jarrett Rivers who broke the deadlock. Some magic from Robbie Dale saw him bamboozle Cliff Moyo on the byline before rolling back for Michael Richardson. The midfielder smashed a low drive from ten yards that was blocked by Trafford keeper Thomas Reed but Rivers tucked away the rebound.

Spartans kept up the pressure heading into the interval with Rivers almost grabbing a second but his twenty yard curler was tipped over by Read and from the resultant corner Nathan Buddle was denied by the Trafford number one at the near post. With no further action of note Spartans kept their lead at the interval.

It took twenty minutes for the first chance of the second half as Rivers and Dale combined and the latter burst into the left side of the area. Dale drove the ball across goal and it was almost deflected into his own net by Trafford captain Nia Bayunu as the defender watched the ball drop just wide of the far post.

Dale again caused problems for his marker Moyo as with twenty minutes left he danced past the former Witton Albion full back before pulling back for Richardson. However the former Newcastle United midfielder could only drag a left foot shot wide of the far post.

There was a big let off for Spartans with five minutes left as Chris Palmer strode forward from the back and was given the freedom of Croft Park. The centre back looped an effort that caught in the wind and smacked off the crossbar before being cleared.

Dale almost set the seal on the game as injury time approached. Not for the first time he danced past Moyo but could only smash a rising drive off the near post with Read completely beaten. However that miss meant little as Spartans held on for another League win and maintained their impressive recent form.

Spartans: Jeffries, Dixon, Mullen, Hutchinson, Buddle, Turnbull, Rivers, Wade, Wearmouth (Hooks 80), Richardson, Dale Subs: Parker, Bell, Nicholson, Cummings

Trafford: Read, Moyo, Smart, Mason, Bayanu, Palmer (Harper 82), Payne, Fallon, Oates, Ahern (Hackney 69), Heron (Mack 71) Subs: Chalmers

Referee: Paul Newhouse

Posted by BSAFC Admin