Blyth Spartans 2 Colwyn Bay 2 (Match Report)

An equaliser in added on time from Colwyn Bay’s player-manager Jon Newby left Blyth Spartans at the foot of the Blue Square North table and without a win in five league games.

Mike Lea’s own goal gave Spartans the lead on seven minutes at Croft Park on Saturday before Karl Noon levelled for the visitors against the run of play five minutes from the interval.

A fine strike from Tuesday night’s FA cup hero Jamie Mole fired Blyth ahead once more just after the hour mark and looked to have secured a precious three points for his side before Newby struck to make it 2-2 with just seconds remaining.

Steve Cuggy’s side produced their best football of the season so far in a first-half completely dominated by the hosts.

Mole went close in Blyth’s first attack when he won the ball himself before driving into the area only to see his effort saved by Chris Sanna.

Spartans were in front moments later though when a free kick from Neal Hooks was diverted into his own goal by Lea.

They could have doubled their advantage within two minutes of the opener when another delivery from Hooks found Lee Mason in the area, who couldn’t guide his header on target.

The response from the visitors was minimal with only a half chance falling to Damien Allen, who lifted his shot over David Knight’s crossbar from 20 yards.

Blyth should have really extended their lead on 20 minutes when an inviting ball from Mason picked out Wayne Phillips at the back post who failed to connect properly with his effort, with the ball eventually rolling into the hands of Sanna.

A rampant Spartans were in total control of proceedings by this point with Chris Emms, Mole and Graeme Armstrong combining exquisitely down the left in a move which once again failed to deliver a clinical end product.

Sanna had been by far the busier of the two goalkeepers and was called in to action again when he saved a close range effort from Armstrong after the striker had fashioned the chance himself in the area.

Mole then hit a stunning 25 yard drive that could only find the side netting before Knight saved well from a Lee McEvilly free kick at the other end.

Emms and Armstrong both came close for the hosts before their side were hit with a sucker punch at the other end with Noon latching onto a miss-kick – by his own player Gareth Evans – to fire the ball past Knight from close range.

Despite the set-back before the interval Spartans emerged from the dressing room intent on regaining the lead and came close when Hooks found Mason in the area – who took the ball down well only to blaze over from seven yards.

Spartans managed to make their possession count on 61 minutes when a great ball from Emms picked out Mole on the left wing, who cut inside to finish emphatically past Sanna from 20 yards.

The Blyth defence were caught napping five minutes later and should have been punished by Danny Lloyd-McGoldrick who failed to guide his header on target when unmarked in the area.

McEvilly then had a shot saved at his feet by Knight before a last ditch tackle from Phil Cave denied Noon a goal scoring opportunity.

A pivotal moment came with six minutes of normal time remaining as Phillips raced down the left with Blyth in a two-on-one situation. The winger however could not find Mole with his cross as Sanna gathered the ball before it could reach the striker.

Deep into the four minutes allocated added on time Blyth were left to rue missed opportunities as they failed to clear their lines and Newby profited from a scramble in the area to poke past Knight and level the scores.

Spartans now travel to Manchester to face Hyde in the Blue Square North on Monday before welcoming local rivals Gateshead to Croft Park on Saturday in the first round proper of the FA cup.

Blyth Spartans: Knight, Slaughter, Cave, Phillips, Groves, Pearson, Mason (Forster), Hooks, Mole (Taylor), Armstrong (Offiong), Emms

MOM: Mole

Colwyn Bay: Sanna, Dennison, Lea, Maedowcroft, McDonald (Davey), Hughes, Evans, Allen, McEvilly, Noon (Newby), Lloyd-McGoldrick

MOM: Lloyd-McGoldrick

Attendance: 451

Referee: Iain Turner.

Posted by BSAFC Admin