Blyth Spartans 0 Boston United 0 (Match Report)

An entertaining game ended in stalemate at Croft Park extending Blyth’s unbeaten run in the league to four.

Spartans just edged a close encounter but were unable to unlock the meanest defence in the division in front of a crowd of 558.

Blyth’s wingers combined to fashion the first real chance when Stephen Turnbull made a strong run down the left and cut a ball back to Liam O’Mahoney but his deflected shot crept wide of the post.

Full back Dan Groves then found himself in trouble when his attempted clearance was intercepted by Boston’s Ryan Semple. With Blyth keeper Mark Gillespie off his line Semple attempted a speculative shot from the touchline but saw his effort curl wide of the upright.

Turnbull was causing problems for Boston again when another strong run and cross resulted in a goal mouth scramble with Blyth’s forward line of Alexander and Brayson both involved. The ball was eventually cleared but Boston’s defence was looking ever more likely to concede a first goal in nine games.

Mick Tait was forced to shuffle the pack on 25 minutes when Neal Hooks came off through injury. He was replaced by Callum Morris who took up the right back berth as Dan Groves moved in to centre midfield.

The change did not disrupt Blyth’s fluent style of play and Alexander was next to make inroads in to the Boston defence. His surging run which left two defenders in his wake resulted only in a corner when Boston defender Shaun Pearson threw his body in the way of a powerful shot.

In a competitive but fairly contested first half the referee brandished two yellow cards for seemingly innocuous challenges from Groves and Turnbull, much to the bewilderment of the home support.

Boston then had their best chance just before the break when Jamie Yates hit a strong shot from the edge of the area which Gillespie done well to parry then smother.

Mick Tait would have asked for more of the same in the dressing room at half time as Blyth had held their own against a Boston team riding high in the Blue Square Bet North.

The second half began with Blyth seeing the majority of the ball and it was no surprise when the visitors made a change in the 57th minute with Weir-Daley replacing Jamie Yates. The substitute was straight in on the action when he attempted a delicate chip from outside the area which was a comfortable height for Mark Gillespie.

Weir-Daley again came close when he flashed a shot wide of the post as the Pilgrims went in search of the opener.

The Blyth defence had to withstand a sustained amount of pressure from a succession of corners and free kicks around the box. Boston’s physical style however was matched by some resolute and strong defending with veteran Chris Swailes leading by example in the thick of the action.

O’Mahoney provided an outlet down the right but Boston’s full back Gareth Jellyman didn’t wobble under the pressure and dealt with the pace of the Blyth winger well.

There was a late rally from Blyth but Boston stood up to the challenge and snuffed out any possible danger.

The final whistle was met by warm applause as both sets of supporters were clearly satisfied with a share of the spoils. The goalless score- line belies the true quality of a football match which provided a great advert for non-league football.

Following Blyth’s clash against Harrogate Town at Croft Park on Tuesday they make the long trip to face Gloucester City on Saturday.

Blyth Spartans: Gillespie, Groves, Cave, Deverdics, Swailes, Buchanan, Hooks (Morris), Turnbull, Brayson (c), Alexander, O’Mahoney. MOM: Swailes.

Boston United: McKeown, Canoville (c), Jellyman, Church, Pearson, Murphy, Yates (Weir-Daley), Sleath, Davidson (Suarez), Newsham, Semple (Hunter). MOM: Jellyman.

Referee: Mr Coy
Att: 558

Posted by BSAFC Admin

This article has 1 Comment

Comments are closed.