Around the League – Saturday, 5 October 2013.

A second half resurgence earned Spartans a point at Croft Park on Saturday, despite a dire first half performance in which visitors Nantwich Town fired past Misiewicz twice within 20 minutes, on his Croft Park debut. After the half time interval the injured Matthew Wade was replaced by powerful forward Ash Davis, who turned out for the first time in his second spell at the club, cuing Spartans to change formation to 4-4-2. A revitalised Blyth side clawed their way back into the game, courtesy of Man of the Match Arjun Purewal’s first ever goal for the club and a Dan Maguire effort that curled beyond the visiting No1 into the bottom left hand corner . The draw saw Spartans slip to fourth in the Evo-Stik Northern Premier League, when a win could have seen Wade’s side top the table, whereas The Dabbers remain seventeenth.

AFC Fylde and Chorley remain level on points at the top of the table, as both sides recorded draws on Saturday. Fylde exchange blows with Buxton at Kellamergh Park, and had to rely on Jack Dorney effort with 15 minutes remaining to level in a game in which the visiting side led twice. The Magipies earned a point away from home at The Vic Couzens Stadium after Andrew Burgess put Stamford a goal to the good after 17 minutes, before Mark Ross’ strike ten minutes before half time ensured the game ended level.

In a clash of two pre-season title favourites FC United of Manchester emerged victorious against Marine, courtesy of a Greg Daniels header, at Stalybridge Celtic’s Bower Fold ground. The win saw FCUM move up to 11th in the league, after a disappointing start, with a game in hand on most teams around them, whereas Marine are currently placed 9th with 20 points.

Matlock Town, Rushall Olympic and Witton Albion all recorded both victories, and braces from forwards on Saturday. Darryll Thomas cooly dispatched penalties in both the first and second half of the Gladiators’ 1-4 victory over struggling Droylsden, after Dylan Maloney gave the hosts hope after 63 minutes, for Corey Gregory and Daniel Holland further compound the misery at the Butcher’s Arms Ground.

Olympic had to come from a behind, due to a Martin Pilkington strike, in front of 181 fans at The Dales Lane Stadium. However, two goals from Kristian Ramsey-Dickson won all three points for the home side. Albion saw Walker give them the lead, before Worksop netted twice through Conor Higginson and Phillip Roe, and Walker converted again after 69 minutes before Joshua Hancock put the game beyond the Tigers with a strike fifteen minutes from the final whistle.

Ilkeston took away all three points from their trip to Bracken Moor, despite finding themselves a goal behind after three minutes from a Nathan Joynes penalty. The Robins fired ahead through Kane Richards and Joe Maguire, before Nick Swirad levelled the game for Stocksbridge after 37 minutes. Just a minute into the second half of play Danny Gordon converted and the visitors managed to hold onto the single goal lead for the duration of the match.

Kings Lynn Town moved up to seventh in the league after a convincing 3-0 home victory against Whitby Town.  The Linnets recorded two goals in the first 45 minutes of play, from Daniel Jacob and Andrew Hall, before Dan Quigley added his name to the scoresheet 12 minutes into the second half.

In a clash at the bottom half of the table Frickley Athletic triumphed 2-0 over a Stafford Rangers outfit that currently sits three points from Droylsden at the foot of the table, courtesy of goals at the start and end of the game, from Luke Hinsley on 5 minutes and Korey Dyer-Stewart three minutes from time.

Grantham Town eased to a 2-1 victory at the South Kesteven Sports Stadium against Trafford FC. Both sides went into the break level after Gregory Smith’s opener was cancelled out by a Shelton Payne goal after 34 minutes, before Rhys Lewis secured the points for The Gingerbreads two minutes after the half time break.

Dean Astbury’s goal three minutes before the hour mark secured three points for Skelmersdale United in front of 242 fans at The West Lancashire College Stadium against league new boys Barwell FC. The win saw The Skem capitalise on Spartans dropping points, leapfrogging Wade’s side early in the season.

Posted by BSAFC Admin